Wednesday, February 1, 2012

{Tutorial} Make a Coupon Pocket Page


Pin It

A few months back I showed how I made a binder to get my paper clutter and my mental clutter under control.  Well four months later, it is still working!  (miracle!)

One section in my binder is for coupons.  Now- I am not any kind of extreme couponer NOR do I know much about them. I DO know that you save money if you use them.  And I like to use them!  Always have.  Even when I was just a single gal and coupons weren't "cool".   I don't have a ton coupons, so this binder page works perfectly for the coupons that I use.

Since we are all still in "new year's resolution mode" and still cleaning and organizing, I wanted to share this little coupon holder that I made for my binder

Left page has 6-pockets & Right page has 4-pockets.  You can use front and back of each page!


To make this, you will need:
Pin It

1. Put your cardstock in the document protector. 
I like to make light pencil marks on the center lines (horiz and vert) before putting it in the sheet protector.

2. Sew a zig-zag stitch down the middle- right through the protector!. (I used an old needle for this, then threw it away.) Remember to backtack at the ends.

3. Sew a zig-zag stitch across the page. 
For the 4-pocket one, you will want to sew *just slightly* above the center.


For the 6-pocket one, mark it horizontally by thirds and sew across your marks.

4. Optional, sew across the top of the page too for added stability when using the pockets.

5. CAREFULLY, seam-ripper below your horizontal stitch lines. Slit the plastic on each pocket individually- don't cut across your stitching. You have pockets on the back, too!

If you need to make custom pockets to fit your coupons, use whatever size you need.

I got this idea when I saw a lady at the grocery store a coupon binder and she used baseball card holders for her coupons!  Genius!  But I didn't want to buy the baseball card sheets (cheap-o me) and I had document protectors already (use what you've got, right?).  Now, I can't help you with how to organize your coupons- that is not my area of expertise. The only thing I am doing, is separating out the ones that are store-specific (Target, commissary). This makes it easy to find my store-only coupons.
Pin It

Was this helpful? I would love to hear from you...leave me a comment so I know you were here!  
I will reply back, too!  SO PLEASE have your email address in your profile or my reply just goes into outerspace...boohoo.
Linking to these fun parties:
NightOwlCraftingSomewhat SimplePhotobucketA Crafty Soiree Transformation ThursdayThriftyThurs Thrifty Thursday Week 3436th AvenueCatch a Glimpse ButtonChic on a Shoestring Decorating Lovely Crafty HomeThe Shabby Nest

9 comments:

  1. Great idea to make your own with page protectors you had. I've been wanting a smaller binder about 5 x 7 and think I have some sheets that I can sew to make my mini binder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the sweet comment...I am your newest follower...I hope you will link up on Saturday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good idea to tailor make the pockets. Never thought of it and it's VERY useful for me to do similiar ones for my small pieces. Thanks for stopping by. I'm following you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sewing the plastic pockets is such a good idea! I haven't stepped up to the binder yet, but I do love couponing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little accordion, 4x6 binder isn't cutting it! I've been worried about taking the plunge to something bigger, after all I'm not an extreme couponer. But this project is so intriguing that I might just have to give it a shot! Thanks for sharing!

    Leah from Well Rounded, leahkoenig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!! I too use an accordian folder but I have already linked this page in some of my facebook groups. :-) Genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genius! What I'm doing to make back pockets is really time consuming! It never ceases to amaze me when the best ideas come from "making due"! Not wasting money but rather using what you have is absolutely in the spirit of couponing! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Share this

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...